Nixon Foundation to Commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Paris Peace Accords
On January 26, the Richard Nixon Foundation will host a commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Paris Peace Accords. This virtual event features two panel discussions as well as keynote remarks from Dr. Mark Moyar, William P. Harris Chair of Military History at Hillsdale College.
The signing of the Paris Peace Accords on January 27, 1973 was a milestone in the Nixon administration’s attempts to end the war in Vietnam. Fifty years later, scholars and historians of the Vietnam War will commemorate, examine and discuss the grand strategy that the Nixon administration enacted in its attempt to end the war in Vietnam, secure the peace, and repatriate the American prisoners of war, as well as the years of negotiation that led to the Paris Peace Accords.
10:00 a.m. PST – President Nixon’s Grand Strategy for Vietnam
- Pierre Asseslin, Dwight E. Stanford Chair in American Foreign Relations, SDSU and author of A Bitter Peace: Washington, Hanoi, and the Making of the Paris Agreement
- Niall Ferguson, Milbank Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution and biographer of Henry Kissinger
- Rana Mitter, Professor of the History and Politics of Modern China, Oxford University
- Mark Updegrove, Moderator, President and CEO of the LBJ Foundation
11:45 a.m. PST – Keynote remarks by Mark Moyar
12:30 p.m. PST – Seeking Peace in Vietnam, 1969-1973
- Lien-Hang Nguyen, Dorothy Borg Associate Professor in the History of the United States and East Asia and general editor of the forthcoming Cambridge History of the Vietnam War
- David Prentice, Instructor at Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Oklahoma State University and author of a forthcoming book examining America’s exit strategy from Vietnam, tentatively titled Unwilling to Quit
- Thomas Schwartz, Distinguished Professor of History, Vanderbilt University and author of Henry Kissinger and American Power: A Political Biography
- Luke Nichter, Moderator, Professor of History and James H. Cavanaugh Endowed Chair in Presidential Studies, Chapman University and author of The Nixon Tapes
The Paris Peace Accords event kickoffs a year of events planned by the Nixon Foundation to commemorate fiftieth anniversaries of the Vietnam War.